Friday, August 12, 2011

REFLECTION

It is hard to put into words what my heart is feeling. This is going to be one of those posts that mean more to me than to any one that may read it. The whole reason I started this blog was to journal my days with my sweet babies. I want record my experiences and my thoughts. So years from now, when I don't remember this feeling or this moment, I would have record of it. That is what this post is all about.

Some friends of Brad's from college received devastating news this week. Their 8 year old son was diagnosed with leukemia. I personally don't know them, but I can't stop thinking about this family. My heart aches for them. When I read their news, it was like a giant hand slap across my face. I have an 8 year old son. What if it were us? Seriously the thought brings tears to my eyes. 

How quickly life can change! In an instant, your world can come crashing down. How blessed I am to have my family for this moment. 

I had to take Jackson to the dentist today. It was just him and me. Sadly, we don't get an opportunity to be alone very often. After the dentist, I decided to surprise him by taking him out for ice cream. I made him swear to secrecy! LOL.  I was sitting there just watching him, and I thought my heart would burst. His little life just flashed before my eyes.  Memories of him as an infant - rocking him and going on walks with him. Memories of him as a 2 year old playing trains. And I could just see him walking around as a 4 year old with a light saber attached to his pants - all the time.  I started crying right there in the ice cream shop!


(edited to add a photo of his sweet little face!!)

I read something this week that was profound to me - one day, I am going to miss this moment. I sat there in that ice cream shop thinking, one day, I am going to long for my 8 year old sharing an ice cream with me.  TEARS!!

Oh my heart breaks for Brad's friends. I can't imagine that hurt, that fear. When I looked at my baby today, I thought about how his future is wide open. He can do anything he wants. What a precious blessing. What a gift. 

I am a weepy, hot mess today.  I hate being this way. At the same time, it is nice to be reminded how precious life is and how richly blessed I am.

1 comment:

Cheri said...

I know that feeling. I am so thankful for my children. When I think of all the suffering in the world, I am somewhat embarrassed by all that is good for me and my family. What a reminder.