Tuesday, January 25, 2011

JUDGEMENT

I have been thinking about that word a lot today... judgement. The more I think about it, the more I am bothered by it.

You see today, it seems that a lot of people believe they have a right to judge. I have heard several comments over the last couple of days that were extremely judgemental and it is really not sitting right in my spirit.

I don't believe anyone ever has the right to look at another's life or choices and consider themselves better for not having made the same choice. None of us are without sin. None of us live perfect lives. Who are we to look at someone else and think we are better?

Don't get me wrong, if you have someone in your life that is living in absolute sin, maybe you should privately talk to that person and say compassionately and lovingly that the choices they are making are not in line with the bible. That's not what I am talking about though. I am talking about the "holy high horse", if you will.

We all know it, because we've all been on it from time to time. Let me give you a personal example:

Years ago, I had a friend, a very close friend, that found herself in some trouble. She came to me during that time, when she needed me the most, for support and help. I decided that I could not stand by her and support her, because I did not agree it her decisions. I was on my "holy high horse" at that time, and I just couldn't be there for her. Now this was a perfect time to be the hands and feet of Jesus. This was a perfect time to love her and pray with her. To support and encourage her in Jesus. But, no. I turned my back on her. I judged.

I guess what I am trying to say is let's look at our own hearts. Let's treat and accept others the way Jesus treats and accepts others. When we feel the urge to judge someone, let's remind ourselves that there is only ONE judge.

Understand that not everyone thinks like you do. Not everyone will make the same decisions. Sometimes, people will chose things that may be out of your comfort zone, but that doesn't make them wrong. Just because you believe something is wrong or right, doesn't make it wrong or right. What does the bible say about it?

We all dress differently. We all parent differently. We are all trying to do our best in this world. Let's build one another up. Let's love each other. Because you never know when the table may turn and it's you that's being judged. I am pretty sure you won't like it.

2 comments:

Cheri said...

I've been on both ends of the judging. Thanks for the reminder even when it cuts to the heart.

Tara. said...

I really like the term "holy high horse". It's so fitting. I always find it comical that some of the most judgmental people claim to love and live for Jesus. And it makes me sad.
I agree with you!