Friday, April 4, 2014

BIG WEEKEND FOR US

It's Passion Play time again. Actually, it's Passion Play time for the last time. This is our church's 7th year doing the play. It is really good, and I am not just saying that because Brad directs it. It truly is a wonderful performance. However, this is the last year we will be doing it. It's time to take a break. Indefinitely? Brad isn't sure. Time will tell, but for now, we are done. This is my all time favorite photo from a few years ago:

Here's one more:

Every year, this performance serves as a visual reminder of what Christ did for us. I am such a visual learner, so the play really speaks to me. Even though I know the stories, there is just something about seeing it. 

All of that being said, I am blogging to share about the time leading up to these plays.  I've posted about this before, a long time ago, but it's on my mind again. Every year around this time,  I find myself thinking, "What in the world is going on?!" You know how sometimes, you jokingly say to friends, "Is it a full moon, or what?" Things just seem to go crazy - sickness, things breaking, anxiety is at an all time high, relationships seem strained, the list goes on and on. Every year, it's the same thing. I truly believe we are in some kind of spiritual warfare. This year has been a doozy, though. It seems "they" brought out the big guns. Aside from our own family issues, this year Jesus has thrown his back out, one of the lead vocalists has some kind of laryngitis, countless people have a terrible tummy bug, the list goes on and on, again. 

I am going to research spiritual warfare. I really don't know much about it, other than the weeks leading up to the play are bad. I remember when we were in our adoption process, it seemed very similar in nature. There is definitely something going on - the bible warns us about this very thing:

Ephesians 6:12
For we are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places.

Even though the bible specifically warns us, it's still very hard for me to wrap my mind around it. Jonah being swallowed by a big fish? Sure. Great flood? Absolutely. But this Ephesians verse rocks my world. I guess it goes back to the visual learner thing, I don't know. It definitely is something I need to spend more time studying. 

Hopefully soon, things will calm down. In the meantime, please pray for the play - the cast, director, and the people coming! 

No comments: